It is amazing how you can think that there are certain things that you cannot talk about until you have got there yourself; not necessarily true, as I found out
I was asked to preach at the church of a dear friend of mine today and Healing was the subject. A subject that I felt I would have been better hearing, rather than being the one to deliver the message, but, as we know ‘Gods ways are above our ways’ – Isaiah 55 vs. 8 to 11.
Unfortunately, I cannot upload the PowerPoint, as it would have looked better, but the message was based on a great prophet’s prayer of suicide - Yes, you heard me right - Suicide.
The Bible, The book of 1 Kings Chapter 19 verses 1 to 18 (for the full picture read from chapter 18). The key verse is:
1 Kings 19:4
(New King James Version)
4 But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he prayed that he might die, and said, “It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!”
This came from a man who had just been used to call down fire from the heavens.
- Depression, Stressed, Sorrow, Despair, and Suicidal
- Had lost his desire and ambition for life itself, despite God using him to have just preformed a great victory at Mount Carmel
God’s healing touch:
- God was gentle in His approach to this broken person – In the Gentle voice
- God re-assured Elijah, built up his confidence
- God gave Elijah a new focus and direction – Note: Elijah had to believe/faith
Next was The Bible, The book of Judges, chapter 6:
- The Israelites' where Impoverished/poor/facing great hardship and victimisation at the hands of the
- The conditions were because Israel had again done wickedness in God’s sight
God’s Merciful Deliverance:
- God chose a man of no confidence and self-esteem issues to be the deliverer (see Gideon 6 vs. 11 to Chapter 8).
- God again took His time to heal Gideon with a gentle reassuring approach
- Jesus said in Mathew 4 vs.7 - 7Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to
the test.'[a]“ – Quoting from Deuteronomy 6 vs. 16
Yet we see that God allowed Gideon to test him by the sign of the Fleece more than once –
God knew what it would take to heal Gideon’s condition (as He does yours).
Next was Healing:
Exodus 23:25-26 (New King James Version)
25 “So you shall serve the LORD your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I
will take sickness away from the midst of you. 26 No one shall suffer miscarriage or be barren in
your land; I will fulfill the number of your days
The beginning point for healing – The Mind
- As Christians the example we are shown through Jesus ministry, is if we believe, then we can be healed. Numerous examples throughout the gospels – the centurion, The Woman with the issues of blood, the gentile woman (the dogs and crumbs statement) and so many more……….
- The enemy – Lucifer/ Satan/ the devil. Constantly attacking our minds, our though life, trying to cause doubt, disbelief, fear and anxiety. 1 Peter 5 vs. 5 to 11
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
“ God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”[a]
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because[b] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may[c] the God of all grace, who called us[d] to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen
Next was – Receiving our healing:
John 10:10 (New King James Version)
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
God will do His part if we do ours:
- Battle through faith - 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (New International Version)
3For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
- Healing is your reward - Hebrews 11:6 (New International Version)
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him
The service ended with prayer for those who felt they wanted to receive it. I share this as I know that you also can can receive your healing for both emotional and physical issues.
Go for it in faith!
1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
21 but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.