Sunday, 21 February 2010

About a book...

I was reading through the foreword of my friends book and wondered whether I had actually shared it before. Well I will share it now, but I would ask you to join me in praying for the completion of the book. the author, Jeremiah Walker, has been going through some milestones in his life (and not all of the positive - Praise the Lord!  - Alleujah! type of milestones).

As I have been encouraging Jeremiah in the the promises of Father G, i do the same for you and urge you to read some of the recent former posts.

Please take of the Foreword & A Word From The Author:


Foreword


This book is being written by someone who just wanted to get his thoughts out of his mind and onto paper, in an attempt to come to terms with both his own past upbringing and his present situation, as a married but separated, father with four children.

The writer touches on many aspects of his life, with themes such as uncertainty, constant probing of his own thought process and motivations, with the backdrop of his faith featuring throughout the later years of his story. It should be made clear that this is a biography with the sole intention of being shared to encourage others, especially men, or one could say boys to men, living life, searching, in relationships, starting out in family life or just trying to get through.

Although the title would give the impression that this book is entirely focused on parenthood, it is not.  The writer touches on many other facets of our society as his story is unfolded; such as disadvantaged youth and communities, the capital world, the world and morality and the writers own struggle to understand who he is within life, his role as the figurehead of his family, his call to community and his faith.

The writer is a product of inner city London, Hackney in the 1970’s. The writer, being born in 1969 to parents of West African origin did not know his own father until he was eighteen years of age. For his formative years, the writer was to his own knowledge an ‘only child’, with no mention to his father ever being made until a few weeks before his meeting with his father. The writer spends the first part of the book painting the picture of a child trying to find his own identity in East London, having been placed with foster parents, which concluded with his final placement in the rural setting of a little village in Kent whilst his mother continued with her professional training.

It is important to remember that as you the reader are invited on this journey through the life of our writer, that the book is not attempting to be an instruction manual to life or the Christian faith. No this is an invitation to journey with one of the billions of people ever born into our world and share with his life challenges, stresses and experiences in a hope that some may be able to relate and maybe even find some form of strength as they go through their own life journey. It is also important to remember that the final chapter of this book is still yet to be written.

D. Graham, a friend.

A word from the Author


This book is being written as I felt led to share some of my life experience in the hope that it may help someone else on their journey.

You may agree or disagree with many of the issues that I raise and discuss; you may like some, a little or none of the book at all. You may like my opinion on some things or hate them; I would like to say that that is fine either way.

 I would stress that the intention of this book is to be helpful in some way and is full of my own experiences for that one purpose. I would urge you all to research deeper into the issues that I talk about and do not take my viewpoint as the end authority on any issue. I say this because I am not a trained counsellor, psychiatrist, medical doctor, ordained religious leader or the like. I am just an ordinary person who had a life of up’s and down’s and felt led to try and help others who have experienced or may be yet to experience similar or completely different issues of their own.

My call to encourage people can be captured in what I believe to be a portion of scripture that shows the true heart of God the father, not God the angry tyrant, who measures out punishment for us for all our wrongs. From the Bible:

Isaiah 58:5-12 (The Message)

 3-5"Well, here's why:
"The bottom line on your 'fast days' is profit.
   You drive your employees much too hard.
You fast, but at the same time you bicker and fight.
   You fast, but you swing a mean fist.
The kind of fasting you do
   won't get your prayers off the ground.
Do you think this is the kind of fast day I'm after:
   a day to show off humility?
To put on a pious long face
   and parade around solemnly in black?
Do you call that fasting,
   a fast day that I, God, would like?
6-9"This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
   to break the chains of injustice,
   get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
   free the oppressed,
   cancel debts.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
   sharing your food with the hungry,
   inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
   putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
   being available to your own families.
Do this and the lights will turn on,
   and your lives will turn around at once.
Your righteousness will pave your way.
   The God of glory will secure your passage.
Then when you pray, God will answer.
   You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'

A Full Life in the Emptiest of Places
9-12"If you get rid of unfair practices,
   quit blaming victims,
   quit gossiping about other people's sins,
If you are generous with the hungry
   and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out,
Your lives will begin to glow in the darkness,
   your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight.
I will always show you where to go.
   I'll give you a full life in the emptiest of places—
   firm muscles, strong bones.
You'll be like a well-watered garden,
   a gurgling spring that never runs dry.
You'll use the old rubble of past lives to build anew,
   rebuild the foundations from out of your past.
You'll be known as those who can fix anything,
   restore old ruins, rebuild and renovate,
   make the community livable again.


This portion of scripture, motivates me to help others and to live a life in non- judgement over others, after all, who am I to judge another anyway. This does not mean that I do not have opinions and viewpoints, but that is quite different from being judgemental. I thoroughly believe in abiding by the laws of the land as my faith instructs this anyway (Romans chapter 13 – The Bible).

My intention in my writing is not to offend anyone and if you do feel offended by anything that is said then I am sorry, as that is not my intention. I will also say that as I share in some of my experiences it may provoke some painful memories of your own. If you do feel that you have some issue, concern or problem that you would like support with then please do contact a support service within your area. Services such as counselling, local church and the like can be very good for either supporting you or directing you to a place where you can receive the support you require. You can also use the details in the appendix to contact us and we will endeavour to make some suggestions as to where you may be able to receive the support you require.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
21 but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.


Wishing you well for your life…

Jeremiah Walker – An ordinary person


For the eagle eyed of you, yes you will have noted that Jeremiah and I use the same portion of scripture to sign off on, as it is the truth; test everything and hold onto to what the God who has been invited to live within you, has said is good - simple!

God bless you,


Brother Don


1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

No comments:

Search This Blog