Saturday, 24 April 2010

Cremation or Burial? Just live life joyfully


I was told of a film by a dear friend/brother. The film is called ‘The Bucket list’ (preview video) and I am so thankful to my brother Andrew for mentioning this film to me. Watching the film, it spoke to me about my life and the way I live it.


My life – Not the greatest of beginnings in many ways and plagued by the memories and conditioning that arose from that, but that is not unique to me I know. What is unique to me is how I choose to live the rest of my life, and to be honest, I have not been kind to myself. I was reading ‘The Word for Today’ over a couple of days this week and on those days, the theme was ‘How to get over your past’.  A few things really spoke out to me as I read - ‘We must make peace with our past’, ‘Understand the difference between guilt and shame’ and ‘Stop punishing yourself with the – If only’s’. The film spoke very much on those same themes to me and again forced me to look at how I am living my life.

I had long been waiting for joy and fulfilment to hit my life, as one waits for a bus, a train or a plane. Expecting this Joy and fulfilment to arrive at some scheduled time, but when the time came (according to my set timetable) and the package did not arrive, I was left in a state of un-fulfilment. The real problem was, that I was, had been and sometimes still do allow life to pass me by without purposely enjoying the very second that I am living in.

One morning this week, I walked into work early. It was so great just to be walking as the sun was rising in the quietness of the morning around me. To hear the birds singing and smell that early morning was great. I thought to myself, Don, you have got to treat yourself better and take more time out for just the small, simple, but often rewarding things in life – such as that early morning walk.

Where am I going with this? I just want to say to you to enjoy life, no matter what situation you find yourself in. There is usually something very basic that you can do for yourself that does not cost money, but can give you a time and a space to get in touch with you. My sister Jax is such a blessing to my life and continually encourages me to find the person that I am and be kind to myself. Perspective – learn to look at things in a different way and maybe you will begin to get some of the results that you have been desiring.

The film? Well for me it is a reminder, a warning saying to not allow myself get to the end or near it, like the characters in the film and then start to live, LIVE LIFE NOW!!!

I met a young man this week, who had made mistakes; he had paid for those mistakes and was now trying to move forward with his life. This young man had an impediment that could for many have seen them settle for their lot in life, but I was very impressed with this young man’s attitude and application to the new he was trying to build for himself. Again a reminder to myself that I must be kind to myself and live life now.

Therefore, I ask you, I plead with you, be kind to yourself and be kind to others. Live life in a way that brings joy to yourself and no harm to others.

You may not know where to start, as I did not; an early morning walk before the busyness of the day may be a good place.

Love Brother Don

 1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
‘But test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good’


No comments:

Search This Blog