Sunday, 15 May 2011

Called & appointed but......

Hi my dear brothers and sisters, I pray you are well.

I wanted to put this post up yesterday but I had such a busy and great time with my kids, that I did not get the chance.

Brother Don has committed to a bible reading plan or should I say plans (plural). One plan I read and the other I listen to on a daily basis, with the aim of going through the whole bible in a year (May to May), genealogies and all.

The plan actually took me back to a portion of scripture that the Lord had recent laid on my heart; that of the prophet Samuel and the person of King Saul. I have always felt quite sad for king Saul. I know that he is often looked at as an example of how not to do things and is sometimes held in comparison to king David, in a similar way to Ishmael often is looked upon as the mistake that took place before the promise son of Isaac came along.

Was Saul a mistake? I think not, Saul was appointed to be king by God. Saul was a person who did not put himself forward for the job, in fact when Samuel told Saul he was to be king, Saul replied in verse 21:

1 Samuel 9:20-21 (Amplified Bible)
20As for your donkeys that were lost three days ago, do not be thinking about them, for they are found. And for whom are all the desirable things of Israel? Are they not for you and for all your father's house?
 21And Saul said, Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? And is not my family the least of all the families of the clans of Benjamin? Why then do you speak this way to me?



Does that sound like an arrogant person who thought they knew best, pushing for the promotion? Not to me, it doesn’t. Again, we see that at Saul’s inauguration he was hiding amongst the equipment (see 1 Samuel 10 vs. 22 to 23)  . I would imagine that anyone truly called of God with a vision/task/purpose to fulfil, can empathise with that feeling of ‘I am not able to do it Lord’ or ‘Why me’.

So how did Saul go from that humble state to the stage where he began to do it his own way? In 1 Samuel 13 vs. 1-15 we see Saul making an unlawful oath and in 1 Samuel 14 vs.24 to 46 we see Saul making a Rash oath that could have had disastrous repercussions on the soldiers of Israel and very nearly cost his own son Jonathan his life. When Saul was making his decisions I find myself flicking back to the early books of the  law, such as in numbers, Deuteronomy and Leviticus and then find myself  saying things like “why didn’t he check the book”. We see in the times that others did refer back to God’s word then understanding would be given. An example of this can be found herein  Nehemiah 8: vs. 1 to 8, where we find the scribe Ezra reading to the children of Israel, in particularly note verse 8:

 8So they read from the Book of the Law of God distinctly, faithfully amplifying and giving the sense so that [the people] understood the reading.

Where are you going Brother Don? Well, I guess I am trying to say, that there is so much for us to learn from Saul and his final error before losing his reign tells us something very significant. When Saul spared the life of king Agag, he again disobeyed God, by part obeying a direct instruction. Saul goes on to indicate that his actions brought about a better result and made up all sorts of excuses for his actions. Samuel saw straight through it and the punch line from it all was this:

1 Samuel 15:22 (Amplified Bible)
22Samuel said, Has the Lord as great a delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

So, going back to the title ‘Called & appointed but…’, my thoughts for my own life are, am I sticking to what God has called me to do or am I allowing presumption to dictate to me and lead me astray. Am I still chasing after the Holy Spirit for guidance in all things daily or do I think I know it all. Saul had been anointed and had some victories, but even with Samuel guiding him, he still ultimately got it wrong.

We are only human I hear some say and are not perfect. I agree but believe its not about perfection, but our motivations. We are living in a time when God is calling us to be holy, 1 Peter 1:16 (Amplified Bible) 16For it is written, You shall be holy, for I am holy and many as well as me, believe that the signs of the times are forewarnings to our Lord Jesus’ return (see  God is not slack concerning His promise.). So I am sharing what the Lord has put within me, that it may encourage you to continue to pick up your cross and draw near to Him afresh, each day.

Brian Hardin was called to set up the ministry – Daily Audio Bible http://www.dailyaudiobible.com – which is a blessing to me. I have been listening for a little while now and on yesterday’s readings, Brian read through Samuel, in regards to Saul. It was what Brian shared after the readings that truly blessed me and some of that which I have said has come from my meditations on the Word and also Brian’s short testimony.

Do take a listen to yesterdays Daily Audio Bible at the following link:


God bless you my brothers and sisters.


Love Brother Don

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

No comments:

Search This Blog