Thursday, 19 May 2011

His mercy endures...

It is amazing how we find ourselves having to practise what we preach, almost as soon as the words have left our mouths. Of late God has been speaking to me a lot about the life of Kings Saul & David; in fact I recently posted 'Called & appointed but...'.


King David faced such harsh adversity but praised and believed his way through them. He kept his integrity and even when he did mess up big time, his heart was to repent instantly.

Yesterday the Lord spoke to me about an ongoing situation from the book of 2 Chronicles 20 vs. 1 to 30 and the story of King Jehoshaphat (KJ). This story is one that has always encouraged me to reach out further in my faith and when things get bad, as they sometimes will, then to do as KJ did and seek God in prayer, praise, worship and TRUST.

When reading about KJ yesterday, for the first time I received the understanding that not only did God fight the battle in the story, but that the children of God (who were asking for survival) were unexpectedly blessed as well as survived. So much was the blessing that it took them 3 days to collect all of the spoils, see 2 Chronicles 20 vs. 24-26. Now I am not saying that your blessing will be of a material nature as was the case here (far better to be blessed in Peace, Joy, Favour etc.), but I do believe that God is telling us to believe for more than just surviving.  And if the result that we were/are believing for did not come along straight away, still believe for more than just survival.

So how am I having to practice what I preach?

The time was 8.39am, the location and date was sitting on a banking besides the M11 motorway on the 19th May. The reason, my car is in need of some TLC.

My journey started around 7am and I was praising and worshipping the Lord on what was to be a two and a half hour drive to a meeting.

I realised something was different about my morning  when I decided to begin listening to the 'Daily Audio Bible' but felt the Lord beckoning me into further worship as he put more songs in my heart to sing.

After a further 30 minutes or so, suddenly I lost all forward momentum and found myself in the outside lane of a dual carriageway with my car rolling along, foot on the accelerator, but speedometer dropping. As I do a lot of motorway driving, I often wondered what would happen if all power was lost and you were far from the left lane, with traffic around you – well the power was there, but the clutch had gone AWOL. So I was now about to get a swift answer to my wondering… Hoping it would not be painful.

Praise God! For He provided a break in the traffic that was around me, which allowed me to get onto the hard shoulder without incident - His mercy endures forever.

1 Chronicles 16:34 (Amplified Bible)
34 O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy and loving-kindness endure forever!

So although I may not have been facing natural enemies like Kings Jehoshaphat and David the spiritual battles are the same. So with that in mind, I was still praising Him from the side of the road and so very thankful that all was well. It was a gloriously sunny day so I sat; typing out this latest post on my phone and watching the traffic go by.





All was well, the tow truck arrived after 45 minutes (result) and I was and believe for more than just survival, by way of favour on repairs or better…

What are you believing for???

God bless you my brothers and sisters.

Love Brother Don

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
‘But test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.’

No comments:

Search This Blog