Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Guess who's coming to dinner... (Film)

On this occasion it is not a Rastafarian  Natty Dreadlock (Black Uhuru) - a song I used to listen to in my youth.

This film was a classic and very controversial in it's day, due to the topic of interracial marriage. the world was a very different place back in 1967 and attitudes were not as the are now or are they?

As I watched this film for the first time, I found myself hoping that love would persevere and conquer the extreme challenges that the couple were facing from their families and potentially worse to come (if they did get married), the general public.

Such issues of prejudice and discrimination in such matters are not only due to the colour of ones skin, but many other diversities such as cultural, academic, religious (to name a few) divides, still keep deep divisions in love and many other areas of life.

I will not spoil the end of the film and so keep my comments short. this film evoked a range of thoughts and questions within me, causing me to place myself in the place of the different characters and see how I felt I may respond to such a situation.

Feel free to let me know you thoughts and comments.

I have placed two the trailers below. The first being quite recent and reference to Barrack Obama and other areas of thought. The second trailer is the original from 1967.


Original trailer:


I watched the film on Sky Classics on demand service. I am sure you can hire or buy the film at a reasonable cost.

God bless you.

Love Brother Don

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

No comments:

Search This Blog