Saturday, 8 October 2011

The stench behind the stone


A quick thought for today. As I was reading John 11, I was captivated by verse 39:

39 Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, “Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days.”

This caused me to ponder long and hard about my life, my current tribulations and just how much of a stench there must be behind the stone that is laid in front of my life.

Sometimes these stones are laid because of the pains that we no longer want to face, the people we cannot bring ourselves to forgive and so on… Sometimes the stone is simply there because we find it easier to die and retreat, rather than trust in Jesus to be able to do a thorough job in changing us (everyone else – yes He can, but us?), well at least that is my thought sometimes.

So the stone remains in place until one day Jesus says to you that He wants you to take it away. WHAT? Are you for real? Would be (sometimes is) my honest response, but you are probably more refined than I am. You want me to bare open my heart, make myself vulnerable after it has taken me how long to roll this stone into place and what about, yeah, what about the stench!

Well my life feels as if the stone has been rolled away and I don’t know about those around me, but I cannot stand the stench. However, I look not unto myself, but the one who commanded the stone to be removed, my Saviour, my Jesus and try to move out of the darkness of death in the cave, to the light outside. It’s not easy as I am bound in grave clothes.

Nobody mentioned the stench when Lazarus walked out of the tomb, they busied themselves with following the Lords next command concerning him; to remove the grave clothes from his body and cloth that was wrapped around his face.

I pray God will give you the grace to allow Him to remove the stone and bring life to death situations in your life.

God bless you



The Lord be with you – Immanuel, God with us’

Love Brother Don

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New Living Translation)
‘but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.’

No comments:

Search This Blog